Step By Step Guide To Composting With Bokashi One
- Position the plastic grate on the ledge near the bottom of the bucket with the knob upright. Make sure the tap is in the off position.
- Place your kitchen waste in the bucket and sprinkle a handful of Bokashi One Mix over every layer of waste. As a guide, use approximately 1 tablespoon of mix for every cup of waste. Use more Bokashi One Mix when adding high protein foods, eg meat, fish, cheese and eggs.
- Check that the lid is closed tightly at all times.
- Regularly drain the Bokashi juice produced using the tap at the base of the bucket.
- Repeat this layering process until the Bokashi One bucket is full.
- Once full, the waste is ready to be buried.
- If you have two Bokashi One buckets, begin the process again in your second bucket, allowing the contents of the first bucket to continue to ferment. Continue to drain off the bokashi juice regularly.
- Wash your Bokashi One bucket after each use.
Note: the waste does not break down in the bucket; it is fermenting and will reduce in volume as it loses water content. Complete breakdown of the waste and the composting process occurs when it is buried in the soil